Our beloved Ate Gloria, who's been so generous to all of us trainees here, was fired from work yesterday. She's the head of the housekeeping department and the general manager fired her due to the low ratings guests have been giving regarding the housekeeping job the hotel does. She works really hard, even harder than all the housekeepers here combined. I've seen her work and she's always prompt with delivering our requests like whenever we needed dishtowels or whenever we need to have the kitchen floor scrubbed from oil spills. She's a kapwa Filipino by the way. She invites us to her house to have dinner sometimes and even sing karaoke with them and the other Filipino friends we've met here. I feel so sorry for her loss of a job. And what made everything really awful was that yesterday happens to be her birthday. Heartless people. They could have at least chosen a better date. We visited her last night and bought flowers for her since we heard she wanted someone to give her flowers on her birthday. We went there to comfort her and helped her bounce back from all that negative vibe on a supposed-happy occasion such as a birthday which comes to a person only once a year!
Well, we're gonna miss her in the hotel. She's applying in the hotel just beside ours (3 minute walk), so we get to see her still. I hope she gets the job, but I guess the pay will not be as high as the one she had. Nevertheless, at least she still gets to find income to pay her bills. She does have a big house. Hmmm... I hope she's OK now. She was already smiling last night when she saw us knocking at her house's door with a bunch of flowers for her. I dunno what's with flowers. They have magic in them somehow. hmm...
No comments:
Post a Comment