Monday, March 09, 2009



Lights Off for Circuit City

I feel bad about this, seriously. I got the news from my colleague that Circuit City had just closed its doors for the last time 2 days ago, March 7, 2009.

Hearing the news, I recall fond memories when my BIOS team and I queued up as early as 3AM, amid freezing temperatures, outside the Circuit City store at Hamburg Place Lexington KY to partake in America's largest annual shopping frenzy that is Black Friday. I remember that I didn't have a scarf then and so I took with me this bath towel from Residence Inn to keep my neck warm. I remember that I didn't buy what I went there for (a laptop) and instead bought a whole bunch of DVDs with price tags slashed by more than 50%.

Circuit City was a bit more expensive than Best Buy. But I can recall that it had a more convenient location than Best Buy, at least in the downtown Lexington area.

Goodbye, Circuit City.

No comments: