Monday, October 11, 2010

Rising Standards

It's been a long time since I visited my own blog, and much more longer time since I posted here.

I've been busy making plans (and having them shot down), amassing wealth (which is still way below target), and enjoying life (the good times never last and life is very much a spinning wheel that takes me up and down, up and down and up...)

I guess once you start sleeping on the bed you can't imagine sleeping on the floor ever. I feel blessed to have all the comforts that life now has to offer. Needless to say, I am very much thankful to God for it on a daily basis. This growing lifestyle can be very addictive to the point that I notice that my standards keep rising. And as a consequence, I notice little defects, inefficiencies and thus tend to complain more often on the slightest inconvenience. I know this is not good and I need to learn more about contentment. I'm young and contentment is such a difficult word to digest.

The Partner In Life

What skills and traits should your life partner possess?

I've been doing a lot of reflection on this question and have found that it is not about what is right and what is wrong. It's not about whether a two timing liar and cheater is better or much worse than a spineless and indecisive partner. And neither is it about whether plain Jane and goody two shoes Betty is more or less desirable than voluptuous yet bratty Veronica.

It's about the FIT. And it goes without saying that an ideal life partner is non-existent. No ones perfect and the choice of a life partner is weighed on a scale. It's about enriching her good qualities and accepting her flaws. It does not take one to be married to know that marriage does not change anything about a person.

At this point I am not sure if I am able to accept the "flaws". I can forsee what it can do to my future family. And if I can't deal with it now then most likely I also can't shut my eye to it by the time that future family comes to form.

I am not complaining but just stating. I am well aware of what kind of person I am. I am not perfect and I know I am more flawed than most people. But that's another story, and a longer one at that.

The Mother

I am not in good terms with her and probably it never will get any better. Thankfully my brother is back in Cebu so I get fewer calls from her (It's never about any good news) and as a result I have less to deal with. It's the mobile phone's fault. Imagine the world without mobile phones. Life would be slower and more meaningful. Everything now is right at our fingertips. It teaches people to expect that things like money and other forms of conveniences can be had at the snap... er flick of a finger.

I am wishing I had a sister now. When my time comes to be a parent, I'll make sure I'll have at least one or two pairs of a son and daughter.

Weddings

Have been invited to like 5 weddings this year and I am attending just 1. Boooo!
I guess many of my friends have decided to tie the knot and I am happy for them and wish them a blissful married life. At this time I still can't picture out myself like them in those photographs. You know what, I am starting to see it as what they say, the ball and chain. Wonder what would happen if I just decided to fly to America tomorrow and take everything with me. It may not be a smart thing to do but surely I can do that coz I'm single and have no one else to be responsible for but myself.

8 comments:

lisa said...

Amen John! You can't find a perfect partner. What you need to find is a partner whose flaws you can live with. =) How is the lovelife btw?

Boooo! Only 1 wedding to attend and it's not even mine! =(

How about get a job in the US now? The economy is doing better.

John said...

hehehe lovelife is flourishing, getting better by the day. I'm moving to a new job by end of January. I have my eyes on for jobs in the US and Canada too but so far no luck yet on that.

How are you? When's the wedding pala in Nov 2011? hehe

Blue Ginger said...

Nov 4, 2011. I guess I will see you after our wedding. We'll be in SIN on Nov 7. Give me tips which areas are good to stay at and what to do. We have oldies with us btw. My parents and some friends are coming with us. I don't really want to spend too much on the hotel because im pretty sure we'll be out most of the time. Any suggestions? $100/night is probably my max limit. Let me know!

John said...

Hi Lisa! It would be tough to find a cozy hotel at USD 100. At that pricepoint, I'd recommend 2 hotels: Victoria Hotel and Hotel bencoolen. Both are beside each other and are located near the main shopping areas of Bugis, City Hall and Orchard. You can try the hotel chains of "Fragrance" and "Hotel 81" They are quite decent and would range from $50 to $100 but are known to be like hostels or motels here.

John said...

Places to go will depend if you are for shopping, food, adventure, relaxation. Shopping is mostly in areas Bugis, Orchard and Chinatown. For food trip, almost everwhere's got great food. For sightseeing, you'd wanna visit the Merlion, Esplanade,, Marina Bay Sands. They are all in one common area and are walking distance from each other. If you want theme park, there's the newly opened Universal Studios on Sentosa Island. Sentosa is known as Singapore's recreation area with beaches, a nightly laser and fountain show and lots of adventure rides. For the oldies and kids, they may want to visit the Singapore Zoo, Night Safari, Jurong Birdpark, Science center, Snow City and Botanical Gardens. For nighylife, it's definitely Clarke Quay - a complex full of bars, discos and restaurants. 10 minutes away is the hippest club named Zouk where world-renowned DJs spin their tracks.

John said...

Check this out: http://www.yoursingapore.com

Blue Ginger said...

wow detailed! thank you! really appreciate it. i don't mind staying in hostels. euro backpacker yata to! lol. i would spend on shopping and food but not the hotel. hahaha. anyways, i'll try to check out those hotels and hostels. ang hirap mag-budget ng side trip because we'll be spending so much on the wedding. =( kung ako lang talaga masusunod, di na ko magpapakasal, bibili na lang ako ng new car. lol.

Blue Ginger said...

john! where are you? need to talk to you asap! we're coming to singapore for sure. nov 7 to 11. we don't have a hotel yet. haha. i think my mom-in-law will be giving us free nights from their timeshare so i dont think i'll be spending a lot on hotels. yehey! more $$$ for shopping.

need some tips... how do i get that unlimited ride tickets for buses and trains? ack! i dont have time to research for this trip.