WHAT MATTERS
I had a chat late the other night with two managers who are in the US for a business trip. One is my immediate manager and the other was my previous immediate manager who is now my immediate manager's manager. I sure was sleepy and tired after a long day's work, but something happened that beats any espresso in perking me up. Here's the telecon snippet (not verbatim) of what happened. This is what I mean by what really matters more to me than enjoying my paycheck at the end of pay periods:
Top Manager: Yesterday, I was at the product launch of ******. When I saw the display panel, I knew that it was all John's code behind it.
Me: *speechless (I didn't see that coming!)
My Manager: Great job John! (My teamlead was now teasing me with funny comments from his desk. I was smiling ear to ear)
Me: Hehe Thanks. It would have also been nice to be there for the launch. It's great to know the product is finally out into the market.
My Manager: Yeah. We had ice cream and some food here. You should celebrate there too!
Me: It would be nicer if you share the ice cream and food with all of us once you get back here. hehehe (I meant, treat us with FREE food and ice cream once you get back)
Top Manager: You should be proud of your accomplishment. That printer just recently received 4 out of 5 stars from PC Mag (My team lead then shouts from his cubicle "Oh ano, promotion?")
My Team Lead: How about another trip to the US for John? (He knows I love the trips more than a promotion! I'm dead serious on that!!!!)
Top Manager: When John quits smoking.
Me: Actually, I have. It's been more than a month now. Ask my manager who's there beside you. (What else was I to say?)
Top Manager: AND when John gets himself a girlfriend (I could now hear my teamlead laughing hilariously from his desk)
Team Lead: Impossible!!! hahahaha
My Manager: LOL!
Me:I guess I will never see the light of day. hahaha! A simple NO would have been a good answer to the request. hahahaha!
My Manager: LOL!
Top Manager: LOL!
It's so nice to work with people who enjoy great laughs as well as making them. I've never laughed harder with anyone else more than I have with the people I work with.
In the job that I've kept for more than a year now, I've learned that what matters most are 5 things:
1. The relationships you cultivate with the people you work with;
2. The happiness you derive from both the skills you've polished and from monetary compensation;
3. How you carry yourself in various circumstances;
4. How you communicate your decisions and feelings;
5. Execution.
No comments:
Post a Comment