SURPRISED
I was beaten in my own game and boy, I loved it!
I just had the craziest shopping weekend that blew a hole right through my wallet, and my shoe. This is what I'd like to call panic buying when you just have 48 hours to buy 6 people the best gifts you could ever think of without even knowing what they are wishing for this Christmas. Imagine traversing through the 3 shopping districts of Singapore all on foot! I could have just bought all 6 from one of the 3 major department stores: Tangs, Takashimaya and Isetan, but I decided to sweat it out and put a personal touch on all 6. I am trying new things, being more open to many things, especially towards change. So it comes with this that I embraced what someone in our Christmas party said (in typical Singlish construction), "Don't just buy anything hor. Must do some research as to what the person may need or like to receive."
So with an aching foot dipped in a pail of warm water, I finally sat down fulfilled that I have finished my Christmas shopping last night. I was planning to hand out 4 of the gifts (for my housemates) tonight prior to my flight to Cebu, BUT as we were all gathered in the living room enjoying some Christmas music, Aimee brought out a small paper bag with a wrapped gift inside. It was from all of them. I was completely stunned. Surprise! They urged me to open the gift infront of all of them. As I opened the gift, I couldn't believe what I saw. They got me a very unique money clip ;) I simply loved it because just yesterday afternoon, I was shopping for one for myself but couldn't really find a nice one (as I was distracted by the thought that I still have 3 more gifts to buy with just 4 hours left!) The gift I received was just P-E-R-F-E-C-T. I am picky with wallets (coz I use them till they get lost or till they are so worn out), and surely this one I got is hard to find, and definitely deserves a 10 out of 10!
The best part of the gift which I am still enjoying now is the thought of how all 4 of them planned it all. No wonder Ivan was always on the phone the whole time we were shopping at Vivo, and why Karen and Aimee were not home till 11. I remember Aimee arriving home with a McDonald's plastic bag with a burger meal, and then asking us, "Is there dinner food?" And I replied, "Huh? Haven't had dinner yet? Aiyah, cannot shop all evening and not have dinner yet lah!" True enough, she had her dinner at 11, if you call a McDonald's burger meal dinner food that is. I'm touched. I really am and this gift will indeed have a very sentimental value to me. Whoever tries to take this from me will have all his fingers cut! haha!
Finally, my extremely worn out wallet can retire and have a Merry Christmas this year! It has seen many places around the world already. I'm keeping this old wallet as it is the only one that has retired in my keeping. The rest have either been MIA or executed by terrorist thieves.
Moving on, I decided to give out the gifts to them instead of waiting for one more day. As they opened their gifts, they too were surprised to see what I had for them. It was a gift in itself to see them figure out how I knew what to give them ;) It takes a lot of observation skills, a lot of cheeky-ness and time spent with them to know all that. It was a very wonderful evening where everyone experienced a warm Christmas gathering despite how far we are all from our families.
Let's see how Christmas morn will be with my plans for my brother and my Mom. It's definitely a surprise to match what I just enjoyed last night!
No comments:
Post a Comment