
RELEASED!
Finally, I saw this baby on the shelf!!!
I visited SITEX on it's last night at Singapore Expo Hall 5 to accompany Aimee in buying a new camera for herself as she was still crossed between getting a Canon or a Sony. As I entered the exhibition hall the size of an airline hangar, I was greeted by the bold letters "LEXMARK". "Let's check out that booth first." were the next few words that came out of my mouth.
It brought me great pride to finally see Lexmark exhibiting their products for the first time in Singapore's quarterly-held I.T. Show. "Can I help you with anything Sir?" I must have heard that 3 times from the barrage of sales people attending to me. I kept silent and gave them a complex look - "I'm busy, please do not disturb me". I can see from their extremely puzzled faces that they had a hard time understanding my fascination over their new products. I was toying with their printers like I was trying to disassemble the whole thing. I was so engrossed in the moment as I finally saw, touched and played around with the released versions of 2 of the most important printers in my life! They are the first and the last projects I was involved in during my tenure at Lexmark. First was Si*, the smallest laser mono printer that I worked on while I was in training in the US. The last was El* where I worked with a team to deliver Pictbridge functionality for their latest released product line. Finally, Pictbridge works on the laser segment! Cheers!
It's a great feeling to see these products finally rolled out into the market. And it feels so different playing with these little things as a "customer" just for amusement without having to think that I am playing with it to fix a PTR as a firmware developer. Hahaha!
After getting Aimee's camera, I wanted to revisit the Lexmark booth to test the camera on the Pictbridge-enabled printer. Sad to say, when we got there, the sales people had packed everything up already. So I headed off to the Seagate booth and got myself my newest toy, to be featured in my next blog post.
2 comments:
There's something about being a developer that makes you so proud whenever you see something that you've finished out in production. I feel the same way too! That jolt of excitement and "angas" factor... don't you just wish they put a little acknowledgment down there with your name on it?! haha.
Yeah! That's the reason for the "angas" factor, because as a developer you have no physical proof of your work. If people ask, "Which part of it did you work on?" I tell them, "Ummm it's the code that makes it do this... and that..." There is just no tangible product from your share of the effort. lol!
Post a Comment