Wednesday, September 27, 2006

THIRD EYE VIEW

Some of us in the office gathered around my desk just to chat while waiting for the rest to join us for lunch. We discussed about the use of vacation leaves (VLs). Since we're already into the BER months, it is just right to be contemplating about vacation. One of us said he'll be visiting Australia for more than a week and he was asking if it was possible to take a leave longer than the allowed 12 VLs. Sure, but with permission from management (which is almost always a yes, especially for hardworking employees like him). And then he went on saying that he plans to migrate there someday because he has relatives there who also work as programmers and engineers. Out of the blue, he asked me what my future plan was. And before I could give him a quick answer, he added whether I'd be contented with just staying here in Cebu. My brain froze and I forgot what my answer was gonna be. I stared at him speechless wondering at the wonder that I was not able to say something.

Years ago, I had great plans for life beyond. Now, I could say that the idealist in me must have died. This could be something good. I've seen the ways of the world and how reality bites you in the ass the moment you start daydreaming and drawing fairies in the air. I then realized that I'm actually living life on a per day basis.

I think the future plans aren't totally lost. They probably got misplaced in the rubble. For now, what I do is just the default KKK, work, save, and technology research. I believe I'm not the only one in this and maybe now I could say it's more beautiful backstage. For many months now, I've been keenly observing people; mostly officemates and people whose lives matter to me. I'm learning new approaches and new alternatives; doing away with what was routinary and common. Time with family and friends has never been this great. I get to laugh till my head hurts and talk stuff till I no longer make sense.

In my years, I haven't had the chance to find people who are worthy to be called my role models or to say "It would be great to be as as !". In a year, I've found three. It's nice to have someone to look up to. I now know how it feels.

No comments: