GRATITUDE
I now live in Singapore. And with nearly a year's worth of stay in this beautiful city, I could say that I have been truly blessed to have achieved and grown so much from the time I decided to forego the many things I considered certain in my life. I took the road less traveled hoping to learn more about myself and what I am capable of, believing that time spent on such an adventure into discovery will take me to far greater places to serve my family, and secure what I would like to call, the future.
It came with months of preparations, both emotionally and financially, since leaving ones family and close friends has its effects on ones sanity, and yes, financially because Singapore is one of the most expensive cities in the world. Seeing Mactan and Cebu shrink till clouds obscured them from plain eyesight felt like, "Take one last look, you might not get to see that again. (The cynic talking)" And then a pretty flight attendant comes forth like some angel and offers me a glass of red wine like it was an unexpected cure from Heaven for an aching heart. And upon the sighting of Changi's iconic control tower, I felt the adrenalin rush of a soldier geared for battle, parachuting to the ground, ready to draw first blood.
Days and weeks went on like a rollercoaster ride with all that fun, amusement and excitement typical of a tourist. And then comes the time when the heart says, "Take everything you once liked, loved, cherished, valued and put them all into where you are now." When you are having such a good time enjoying what you have now, you just can't help but want others to share in it and want more too. I realized this is normal for we all seek happiness magnetizing it into our path. And as social beings, we find meaning in sharing it with others, be it joy or sorrow.
Events unfold, building up our experience, awarding us with an array of badges, medals and trophies, in the form of lessons, lessons, and more life-long lessons. By this writing, I have accumulated many. And the latest one in my portfolio is Gratitude. The long narration of how the journey began is my way of keeping to my roots; an essential element in the latest life-lesson that I have earned.
I wake up not knowing how the day will end, will I be wearing a smile? or will I be wearing a long face? It really becomes immaterial then. There will be days where I could sing high praises, and there could be days where I feel all that negativity and try hard to just woozah it out of my system. The days begin with gratitude for another day of life and then I've got to get myself to work. There are days that it becomes a natural thing to do, and there are days where I really have a lot of convincing to do. And the best part of it all is when the day draws to a close. I guess we spend a lot of time sleeping so it would be best to grace that period of time as well.
And it goes like... "Thank you for today. May tomorrow be as good or even better. May others enjoy the good that today has given me. And may my own hands make it a reality." And living in a place where wealth is, more often than not, equated to how much money one brings home at the end of the day, I add in one last request, "Thank you for a job that keeps idle hands busy, that provides well for a decent living condition where needs are met, still with extras to cater to the wants. I pray and ask for wealth as how I perceive it to be, one that is intangible as it can only be experienced and felt. And may I always remember this to be what it means to be truly blessed."
Good night and may such blessings be yours as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment