Wednesday, December 27, 2006

THE EXTRA MILEAGE

I'm running short of power now. I enjoyed a whole day at the beach with relatives who flew in from Australia to be with us for the Holidays. It was my first time to be in Plantation Bay ever since its opening. I've been there once to enjoy speedboats and kayaking, but all I was able to see was the beach front then. The pools and cottages were still on the drawing boards as far as I knew.

Tonight, I was busy entertaining them, especially Jaymes, my 10-year old cousin. Well I've given an introduction of him in my previous post. I was watching Harry Potter with him over DVD... it has to be my nth time watching that film, so I kinda dozed off. I woke up to have a glass of water since my throat was running dry from the airconditioner. To my surprise it was 12MN and my uncle and aunt were still awake enjoying some drinks over the dining table. So I joined them. I realized I am capable of the extra mileage if given the right "fuel". Just a glass of something that tastes like Coke and Kentucky bourbon... I'll have to settle for Pepsi and rhum.

I look up to this aunt of mine since I know she's one big risk taker and she carved out her career path really well... and she still continues to innovate and reinvent herself. Learned a lot of things from her, especially when it comes to making decisions that border between family and career. It is something that I consider difficult. And for those who have careers, you'd know what I am talking about. I figured out that as months go by, I'd be making more and more decisions of this sort. So I dared to ask how to draw the line. They are reputable grownups and I need to learn from those who would know..

Like Lisa said, work is hazardous to lovelife... is hazardous to family and to health. But I believe also that without it, the hazards are just the same and could even be of greater magnitude. So the solution is balance. In the months and years to come, I'd have to figure that out for myself... and it is only that way that I get to define for myself where the line really lies. It is 3AM and the line for sleep tells me that I need to sleep now to not feel cranky tomorrow morning.

No comments: