Tuesday, December 26, 2006

I AM NOT ALONE

Last night, I had too much good food to eat and too many pictures to take during our family dinner. That was an exception to the cliche, "Anything in excess is bad." Anyway, to top the night off, I had a wonderful chat with a friend whom I've kept through all these years. I was astounded by the words she had to say. Makes a lot of sense. I feel good that I can relate better with people nowadays... I mean my thoughts are almost always in agreement to theirs. I never imagined that someone within my peers would actually have it all figured out just like what I believe in.

Maybe because she started talking "deep" and I am not accustomed to her doing such? Or maybe she did grow up to be one smart woman. Nonetheless, it is the idea that matters most and not the ageing part. She said two things really hit the bullseye, as far as I'm concerned.

First, she had a quest of finding out why she's not attracted to men who aren't "smart". And I believe her quest ended right there and then when she shared her answer (which came in in two parts): 1. She learns a lot from them. 2. They understand what she is talking about (and not just pretend to be in agreement for the sake of faking to "get the point". If you've observed how Joey in FRIENDS fakes being smart, that's what I meant.)

Second, I know her criteria WAS at some point in the past very "teeniebopper"... but now it's getting better... and I hope many of you reading this would agree that she changed for the better or that she bloomed from girl to woman. If you aren't then it also says the same of me that I'm an immature turd that needs to get in touch with reality. Don't be afraid to tell the truth even if it offends me. "Frank" is my friend. Anyway, second hit on the bullseye was when she said that she yearns for someone whom she can have good conversations with. Her answer, like the first, came in 2 parts: 1. Someone whom you just know what to talk about when you meet him. 2. Someone whom you can talk to for hours and it would seem as if it was just minutes. Reason for these is that as you grow old, talking to your partner becomes essential. You would be too weak to go out around town so you'd yearn to just sit back on some porch and just talk all day. I read that same thing in a book somewhere about, "As you age, your conversational skills will become very important." Couldn't have said it any better myself!

Am I "feeling" old already to be able to appreciate such depth in life's perspectives? I guess it is just wisdom... comes with the age perhaps or with the people you meet. Well, the focus is not the age but it is on the wise thoughts given. I think my wish of being able to have people understand what I think is slowly coming true. I cringe everytime I go "deep" and people tell me, "You are what? 24? You are still young. Just enjoy life." I am, perhaps just not in the timeframe you expect me to be... you'll see.

No comments: