Monday, February 24, 2003

No classes today, but that didn't spare me from waking up early. I woke up at 7:00 to be at Julie�s Bakeshop by 7:30 to 8:00 for our CompE Council outreach program. When I arrived, there were only 3 of us. So while waiting for the rest, we packed our giveaways for the kids of Pari-an. Tot arrived 8+, and so did Mitch a bit sooner. We made a stopover at StarMart to wait for Apple_Pay and the others. After, we headed for the drop-in center at Pari-an. This center for street kids is a project of Margot Osme�a's Task Force on Street Children.

When we arrived at the place, we met the little kids who were mostly aged 5 to 12. Plum made the opening prayer. After the prayer, something caught my eyes. I was fixated on a few notes posted on the wall. These notes listed the wishes of the kids. The wishes ranged from toys to clothes to finishing their studies to finally meet their parents to a land on good job someday, etc. As I read through their wishes, I thought of my own. I saw how simple their wishes were as compared to my wish list. I could say that in my life, the things they wished for have all been provided to me. I have a good education, a family, a home to call my own, clothes (with accessories pa), toys (when I was a kind, I had closets of them) and much more. To those kids, perhaps their life would be complete if those simple wishes were answered. And here I am, having more than simple pleasures, still discontented. For a brief moment there, I counted my blessings and thanked the Lord for them. If I had millions in the bank, I would have answered their wishes right there and then. Maybe the opportunity will return sometime in the future when money already grows in my backyard.

So after reading every note on the wall, I went back to participate in the activity. I found myself busy talking to a little kid named Ramon. His birthday will be tomorrow and he was asking how I knew about it. Well, his name was posted on the announcement board at the courtyard, which I was able to read in my wanderings around the area. So, I made a friend of that birthday boy. The kids performed a dance number and danced to the tune of Asereje. Impressive moves they got. Makes me wonder if they've been practicing their grooves for months. Hehe... I then joined the kids in the parlor games we organized for them. The kids played Trip to Jerusalem, Newspaper Dance and Statue Dance. Plum, especially Tot were so harsh. They kept on distracting the kids, so the kids would laugh or make a move, which would disqualify them. Speaking of Tot, she has a new nickname. Aside from the usual: Maia, Maiatot, Tot, Toty Froty, Mangkay, Mangks, Fish atbp., the kids coined her Kris Aquino. Bwahahaha... showbiz! Looks like someone's been giving away autographs.... *ahem. We then distributed prizes, candies and finally their snacks.

A diva sang music to our ears. I'm talking about Apple_Pay. It was the first time I heard her sing a song from start to finish. She sang HEAVEN by DJ Sammy. Tot was teasing me about the song, but honestly, I no longer hate it. I have once again found beauty in the song. It may have once brought back sad memories of **n**, but now they bring forth wonderful memories... memories of a songbird who just dedicated that song to me.

After that wonderful song interlude, we left the place. Some kids were asking if we'd come back. Honestly, I wasn't able to reply to their Q. I was dropped off at Ayala. Watched the store till mum arrived. We then left Ayala for dad�s altar at our commissary. There, we made offerings to my dad, since today's his death anniversary. 4 years since that fateful day. I could say I still do feel the aftermath of it. Just see how fast time flies by.

We then ate at The Nook at City Sports Club. It's a new resto near Ma-yi. The place used to be the business center, but they changed it to a resto, which serves Ma-yi dishes, but does not require Ma-yi�s strict dress code.

Went to Ayala after lunch and met up with Adrian, Jed and Melvs. We were supposed to watch a movie, but it seems Adrian and Melvs couldn't decide on one. It's either Melvs has seen the flick, and Adrian didn't want to see it again and vice versa. Jed and I had no comment, since we both haven't seen any of the flicks. Jed was not in for movies too, since he was kinda hungry. Verdict: We all went to Ratsky. Adrian and Jed ate their 99 eat all you can. Melvs and I just sat and watched them. Soon, all four of us were talking about the unresolved issue on courting Filipinas VS courting Chinese. I don't wanna include the details in this blog, lest I wanna rekindle a verbal war.

We stayed the whole afternoon at Ratsky and then split up by 5. Adrian went with his mum, Jed rode with Melvs who offered to give him a ride home. As for me, I went to our store and we left for Sacred Heart Church to attend the 6:00 mass offered for my dad. Kar, I met your Aunt Shirley... I think she's the sister of your mum. She asked me if I knew you. She even gave your complete name. Hehehe... Of course, I told her I know you.

So after the mass, we passed by Ayala to get some food for dinner. On the way home, I almost got all of us in the car killed. I was near Grand Con when suddenly, without any warning, an ERUF ambulance from the opposite lane swerved to my lane. I only saw lights, but no sound of a horn or a siren. I immediately swerved to the sidewalk and thought the incident was over. To my surprise, a fire truck was following the ambulance and was running at top speed, so I had to swerve once again. My left leg (controlling the clutch) numbed out and my right leg was hard on the brakes. I had to park the car for a while so I could recover from the shock. I guess driving experience does pay off. My mum kept on laughing. And it seems the taxi on the opposite lane was also laughing. Perhaps he saw the whole incident and couldn't help but find humor in my reaction afterwards. Hahaha� laugh on!

I continued my drive home as careful, but as fast as I could. I could barely stand a minute on the road. Now I'm safe and sound at home. Just ate dinner with some relatives who came over to celebrate my dad's anniversary. I'm now in my room blogging to release all that unnecessary tension. Have to go and watch TV to relax for a while, and then pay dreamland a visit. Good night peeps!

No comments: